Monday, January 17, 2011

Therapy: everybody is doing it


Now that I have spilled all my innermost feelings and thoughts, I feel the need to write about what I DO about it. I have come to realize that if I sit around and do nothing, I only feel worse, which makes everything worse! I am one who keeps everything inside until it EXPLODES out of me, literally, with hysterical crying and lots and lots of talking, and its always Kaleb who gets that wonderful job of listening to it all. I always wonder if I was better at talking about things at the beginning, when they aren't so bad, if it would be better for me overall. But its the insecurity of admitting that you are vulnerable and need help that is the hardest to admit. But everyone has there own "therapy" of how they deal with their own problems, some are good and some are bad. Here are a list of mine.

Sun/light therapy: It is a proven fact that the lack of vitamin D can cause depression. That is why so many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. So when the suns come out I am constantly in it. And for the days (and weeks) when there is no sun, I have a special light I sit in front of in the morning that is suppose to give you that good dose of vitamin D.

Book therapy: If I don't want to deal with my life anymore, I lose myself in someone elses story.

Food therapy: This one isnt good, because gaining weight only makes you feel worse, but in that moment when I am eating my hamburger/dr.pepper/french
fries/chocolate/candy/whatever makes me happy in that moment, I feel soooooo good.

Retail therapy: Not always a good thing, but sometimes just going and buying yourself something instantly makes you feel better, at least for that moment.

Husband/friend therapy: this is one of the best therapies but also one of the hardest. It is hard to admit to someone that you feel like crap and everything seems horrible. But if you can finally talk to a husband/friend about it, it always ends up making you feel better. Its nice to have a good support system and people you know you can always count on.

Writing therapy: I do this one a lot, because it is easier for me to write then to talk. This blog has been the source of many therapy sessions for me and I sure appreciate it.

Spiritual therapy: This is a sure no-fail therapy that works every time. When life seems down, Sundays are always my best day, because I am focusing on spiritual things for a lot of the day. Some weeks all I do is look forward to sunday, because I know it will be a "day of rest" from the demons that are plaguing me.

I really appreciate everyones comments from my last post. I would never wish another person to feel depression, but since most of us do at some point, its good to know others have felt as you do and understand. I hope I can reach out to others when they need it and let them know that they are not alone either. Not having a perfect life pretty much sucks :) but the part of my life that is close to perfect are the great people I have in it, my friends and family. Can't express how much I love you all!!! You made my burden a little bit lighter. Thank you.

1 comment:

Kylie Blackwell said...

I am sorry you have been down. I call depression "the monster" so that way I can just say to Brandon I got that monster on my back today and we can talk it out. I don't know what I would do with out that man. I am like Jamie, it's really mostly Brandon who gets to carry the burden with me. But like you I self medicate with books and things. Whatever helps! I know how you feel and I can only say I am sad that you feel it because I know how heavy it is. I am glad you have friends and Kaleb and other ways to cope with it. I love you! Truly I do. You are always someone I love to talk to and be around. Don't EVER think I don't like you... i usually am too busy not liking myself to have enough energy to dislike anyone else, haha jk! Hang in there hot mama!~