Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Families are Forever

My grandpa john passed away last week, he was 92 years old. He was actually my step-grandpa, he married my dads mom soon after my parents got married. But to me, he was my grandpa, the only grandpa I have ever known. My moms dad died when I was 10 and my dads dad died when I was 2, so I have the most memories of my grandpa john. Him and my grandma lived in Mink creek, idaho for a long time, and let me tell you, that is a kids paradise. We LOVED to go up their to visit grandma and grandpa, we liked to play in the cemetary and my grandpa was always making fun things for the kids, like stilts and a ping pong table. I hadn't seen my grandpa for a few years before he died, after my grandma passed away 5 years ago his biological daughters took care of him. I feel guilty for not going to see him. But I look forward to the day when I can see all my grandparents again in heaven and really get to know them.

On another note, I took the time to go to the temple today while aliah was at a friends house playing and then going to school. When my life gets too much too handle, I always feel the need for the peace and uplifting that the temple has to offer, and today I wasn't disappointed. Sometimes life just gets to be too much too handle, too many worries put a heavy weight on my heart. But then I go to the temple, and I feel lightened of that burden. It was a cold, windy, ugly day, but it became beautiful to me because I was able to spend some time in the temple. I am going to try to go more often now that my kids are all in school.
My grandpa was a war veteran so they had some veterans at his funeral who shot their guns and folded the flag and gave it to his daughters. It was a really touching thing to experience. One of my grandpas grandsons played the bagpipes and it as incredibly touching! I decided that I would like to have them played at my funeral. How grateful I am for the knowledge that families ARE forever!!

2 comments:

kelsey and murray said...

Meg- I am sorry to hear the loss of your sweet grandpa. I would have to agree with you 100% how I too find unexplainable peace at the temple! We will have to go together sometime!

Krystal said...

Thanks Meg, I needed that today. :)