Wednesday, May 5, 2010

There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them.


20092008

Have I ever blogged about my story of how I came to dance again as an adult?? Its not very interesting, but pretty profound in the story of MY life!
I danced from the time I was in 5th grade to 10th grade. I wasn't ever the girl that was awesome at it, but I was the girl who loved it with a passion!!! I didnt make Drill Team when I tried out my sophomore year ( something I am grateful for now) and after that I kind of let my passion for dance go, I don't know why. Then I got married.....had three kids......every mom out there knows what its like to lose yourself in the everyday journey of being a mother and wife. Then came the dark time of my life. I started realizing that I wasnt happy anymore, that I no longer knew who I was besides being a mom. NOT that being a mom is a bad thing, its the best thing ever!! But all of the sudden I wanted to remember who I was before I became a mom, and I couldn't do it. I felt so lost, like who I was wasn't good enough. Thats when I started praying....PLEASE let me find something in my life that I can love, that has nothing to do with being a mom!!! I prayed and I waited, not knowing what could possibly help me feel any better. ......pause here.....I feel like I am painting a pretty pathetic picture, of course I found joy in being a mother and a wife, who wouldn't?? I know that I am so blessed to have three beautiful kids and a husband that I adore. And I wondered if there wasn't something wrong with me that I still felt a hole, when my life was so overflowing with blessings!!! But, it was the truth. Then randomly one day, an old friend called me. One that I had known almost my whole life but one that I only spoke to from time to time. I KNOW she was inspired to call me. She told me that she had been taking a dance class for a few years and her teacher had told them all to bring a friend and so she thought of me! PRAYER ANSWERED!!! I hadn't danced in 10 years, but I thought, hey, yeah! Im gonna go try it. I went....I fell in love all over again with dancing....and here I am 4 years later still doing it! It is my ONE thing that I do just for me. I don't do it with a friend, or with my kids, or with my husband, or for any other purpose than just because I love it and it completes who I am. It is my joy, my passion. It makes me a better mother, a better wife and better friend. I look forward to it every week, I feel so good after my class is over! Am I that good??? nooooo.......I am thirty years old and my teenager body is only a distant memory! But I don't let any of that get in my way. I will do it as long as I am able, even when I look ridiculous doing it, I will keep on!!
So, its that time of year again when I get to go on stage with the other girls in my class and dance my heart out! There is nothing quite like it. And even more I am blessed with family and friends who actually WANT to come and see me perform! I am so blessed.

3 comments:

April McEvoy said...

sad that we won't be there AGAIN this year to see you dance. Good for you for staying with something that you LOVE and makes you happy! I am so proud of you! You will do awesome in your concert!

The Heaps Family said...

I can't wait to see you dance... yay. I love your picture of you in your costume. Love the gold jacket.

Brande J. said...

That is so awesome you found YOU again. That post totally made sense and sometimes I wish I had something I did...just for me. One day huh? :) So, good job on finding it again...and you look awesome!