"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
A year ago last january I started a new adventure, called Crossfit. I decided it was time to really do something healthy for my body and my mind. What I gained from Crossfit was that I could do hard things. Really hard things. That was a life changer for me. I enjoyed Crossfit, I enjoyed how much stronger I became and how much I pushed myself. But, about 6 weeks ago, I came to a stall point where my heart just wasn't into anymore and I knew I needed a break, something else to challenge me. I decided that I wanted to be able to run up to the stop sign (about a half mile) with out stopping. Yes, that sounds so pathetic, but I am NOT a runner. NOT. As in, I hate running!!! So, half heartedly I started running a few times a week, and whoa, I sucked!!! Really and truly. ;) I also started walking every day with my really good friend. I love that. But running, oh man. Then I started getting shin splints, my legs ache, I am a terrible runner.
Another turning point. Kaleb and his brother had been training for a 1/2 marathon. The morning of, I wasn't going to be able to see him cross the finish line because I was picking up celine from EFY. But as I was driving to pick her up I discovered that the run was on the road I was on to pick her up, and kaleb should be close to finishing. I started hoping I would see him. There were literally thousands of runners. As I was driving slow and watching them, I was truly in awe. Then, I saw Kaleb and Luke! I was so excited to be able to honk and cheer for him on his way. I decided right then that I was going to get a little more serious about running. I just wanted to be able to run a mile without stopping, and then maybe go on from there. So, I started talking to Kaleb about my goal, and kept running a little bit, but man, my shins still hurt, my knees, my feet. We figured out my crossfit shoes are not good for running, so I started wearing my running shoes that are about 31/2 years old. I went running with kaleb one night and we figured out my form was all wrong, my stride, pretty much everything. So, he said if I was really serious, we would go get me some new running shoes.
So, today was that day. Went to Robs running center and tried on like 10 pairs of shoes and ran around their track( feeling like an idiot), then a guy actually videoed me running so we could go over everything I was doing wrong. That was a bad moment for me, who like to see themselves running? I decided even more that I want to do this, to get into better shape, to feel better, healthier. Its not about being skinny, its about being healthy and strong. That is my goal.
So, these little beauties came into my life today:
I am happy to say they made a difference. I came home, remembered all the things the guy and kaleb told me to change about my run, and I went and ran 1 mile, without stopping, in 13 minutes. Now, that may not sound much to anyone else, but to me, it was HUGE!! I did it!!! I ran a mile!! Without stopping! It was a turning event in my life. So, this is my new goal, running. I don't have anything specific. A half marathon?? HA!!! Maybe next year. I just want to run, and to feel good doing it.
I can do hard things.
3 comments:
Meg that is AWESOME!! I am so proud of you :) You are amazing!
Way to go Meg! Running is my new goal too. Jenessa and I were saying how amazing it would be to run a half marathon. So if you want someone to run with, give me a holler!!
You are incredible, my friend!! :)
Post a Comment